Sunday, May 23, 2010

oops! or: hello face, it's been a while

A musician friend from my days in Scotland posted something about being in Chicago on her Facebook page the other day. I quickly fired off a message--if she was in town, we HAD to grab a drink or something! Turns out she is now in a group called Geese, supporting Imogen Heap at the Riviera tonight, and was gracious enough to put myself and my girlfriend on the guestlist.

Well I haven't seen Emma for at least a couple of years, probably a little bit more than that; naturally, I wanted to look my best (or as best as possible with what I've got left to work with at this point, haha) so I figured I'd better trim up my beard. Now, for those of you not familiar with my current "look" (which is NOT represented in my wee profile pic), I have worn a beard--neatly trimmed--and mustache, an upgrade from the goatee I sported for the previous decade or so, for the past couple of years.

Grabbing the trimmer, I tucked in under my chin and carved a swath up my neck... what the hell?! Yep... a big, ragged-looking shaved patch had suddenly appeared smack dab in the middle of my nicely kept beard. I'd forgotten to put the guard back on, and was basically using it as a shaver instead. "It's not THAT bad," I rationalized after a couple minutes' close inspection in the mirror. "Maybe I can fix it, blend it in..."

First attempt: click the trimmer down to setting #1 and see what happens. Not much, turns out. Still looked patchy from too many angles. "Ok, maybe I can try and shave my chin, leaving some sort of 'ragtime porkchops' or something..." Ummm, no.

Looks like my baby face would be making its first appearance in several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment