Friday, May 28, 2010

My Frend Joe

I've got some good friends named Sharon and Greg. We've all known each other for almost 15 years now, so when they decided to start a family, I thoroughly approved. They're both very intelligent, funny and caring people--Greg is an artist/professor, and Sharon is a graphic designer/elementary school teacher--pretty good place to start from, eh? Seeing as how i don't have any kids, I like to live vicariously through my friends'.

When they decided to adopt three at-risk kids who'd been bounced around foster homes for most of their young lives, I admired my friends even more, and couldn't wait to meet these kids who had made such an impression and changed their lives so much. Christopher, Brian and Jarvis are three of the brightest little guys I've ever known... their smiles will blow you away, so bright and honest--it restores your faith in humanity. When I went up to stay with them for a couple of days to catch up and work on some art projects, the boys and I had plenty of quality time looking at comic books, playing superheroes, you know--all the cool stuff you get to do in summer when you're a free-wheelin' little kid.

I know it sounds corny and sentimental, but I really do believe that it's important to try and make good impressions on kids when they're in that crucial development stage, and to encourage them to think and expand their horizons.  I also think it's important to listen to them, instead of just telling them what to do and where to sit, play, etc.--and when the kids are as bright and full of energy as my friends' are, well... it's the easiest thing in the world to do. We had a great visit.

Apparently, I made more of an impression on Brian than I realized. This is a story he wrote, and it was passed along to my friends at their parent-teacher conference. He wrote it for a class assignment; the topic was to write about his summer, and this is what he came up with :D When my buddy gave me a copy of it, I was speechless--and so proud of the wee guy, I wanted to share it.

Gotta hand it to him, he's got a promising future as a caricaturist!

No comments:

Post a Comment