Tuesday, November 17, 2009

swingin' in the windy city


hey, I like swing. when the Cherry Poppin' Daddies were hotter than a nun's first curry, I was right down in front. the problem was... I can't dance.

swing dance, that is. oh sure--I've got rhythm, and I can move onto the dancefloor and 'bust a move' (or whatever terminology is used these days to refer to the random flailing of limbs and pelvis), but until last monday, I couldn't swing.

and I'm not gonna boast and claim that I'm ready to sign up for Dancing with the Chicago Stars just yet--but my girlfriend DID sign us up for swing dance lessons, and after two solid weeks of "quick, quick, slow... slow" stepping, I am feeling pretty damn good about eventually slipping into some retro duds and taking my baby out to a club for some free-wheelin' swing kids fun.

so in honor of my new found love of all things swing, I'm posting a few of the tunes that have gotten me through the classes and helped me get my swing on.

Straighten Up and Fly Right - Nat King Cole


Two O' Clock Jump - Harry James


I've Got A Gal in Kalamazoo - Glenn Miller

1 comment:

  1. "Straighten Up and Fly Right" is one of my all time favourites...good choice, my man, good choice.

    ReplyDelete