Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011, the year AFTER the Year We Make Contact

Happy new year to any of the random folks who might find stumble across this wee "gem" of a blog!


I don't know why I find it so hard to keep this thing updated. Even when I wasn't in grad school (which I'm not sure I even took the time to write up on here, now that I think about it... yeah, I'm really committed to this. Straight A's first semester, btw), I just could never really be arsed to type in all the thoughts racing through my head--I mean, it's not like I don't have anything to say... I'm just lazy :D


However, I started this blog not because I ever gave a shit about blathering on about my spectacular existence, but because I wanted to share music, and maybe even comment on it. So in 2011, I am going to try and steer back toward that original intent and bring back the music.

To wit, I present my Notable To Me In 2010 Mix. For the sake of the one or possibly two people who have made it this far (clearly bent on seeing it through to the point of possible OCD, maybe check into that?)--I hope I don't run out of steam halfway through, and sincerely apologize in advance for both it and/or unmet expectations regarding quality of comments or selected tunes. FYI--I'm going in a rough chronological order, not ranked in any way.



1. Who Makes Your Money - Spoon
In January this was one of my jams, loved the whole album. But when I went to make this list a year later I realized that I hadn't switched this one into the playlist for a while.

2. Shelter - The XX
Saw these guys open for Hot Chip in April at The Riviera, fantastic. So great when the support act is also someone you like, made the show twice as good as I expected. This album has a great atmosphere, instant buzzword: noirish.

3. Keep It Goin' Louder - Major Lazer
A friend tweeted about this band so I checked them out--retro 90s big techno beats-style, but you can't deny it, even if you don't dance.

4. One Life Stand - Hot Chip
One of my favorite bands from the 2000s, Hot Chip delivers the wit, the melodies, the energy and the fun on every album. This title track from their most recent release is pure hot Chip goodness.

5. Sara Smile - The Bird and the Bee
The easy pop sounds of B&B made Fucking Girlfriend one of my favorites songs of all time, so checking out their tribute album of Hall and Oats classics was a no-brainer. If you like this tune, you will need this version.

6. Let's Dance (live) - Ween
This cover is from the show I saw at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago on June 25 (happy birthday, mom!) this year. The sound quality is not fabulous, but the performance itself was stellar.

7. White Dove - Levon Helm
My friend took me to see Levon Helm and his band at Ravinia this summer. I was vaguely familiar with him, but I was never a huge The Band fan. Boy, was I missing out all these years! a 14-pc band blew my mind, and the tracks on Electric Dirt are a good jumping off point. Country tinges make it just that little bit sweeter.

8. Alyo - Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
Can't even remember how I found these guys, but the down and dirty brass is the hotness.

9. Me and the Devil - Gil Scott-Heron
Good to see GSH back in action. He's still got it, I was worried that his album would sound out of touch but it is, instead, a very well crafted integration of his trademark style with modern sensibilities.

10. When Your Mind's Made Up - Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová
From the soundtrack of Once, the Irish film about a busker who falls in love with a flower girl and the album they record. magic film, brilliant soundtrack.

11. Tightrope (feat. Big Boi) - Janelle Monáe
My girlfriend's sister turned me onto this lady. Interesting melange of hip-hop/soul styles with a classical flavor.

12. Kids - Sleigh Bells
You can hear M.I.A.'s production all over this shit, but it doesn't matter because it brings the serious nod AND rocks out at the same time :D

13. Come On Over (Turn Me On) - Isobel Campbell And Mark Lanegan
Saw these two at Lincoln Hall in September. She's from Belle and Sebastian, and he's from Screaming Trees--what? It's true! Their music is low, slow and sultry; sometimes melancholy and fragile, sometimes heating up. Check out all their albums if you like twee blues.

OK, that's the halfway point so I'll call it Part 1 and leave you hanging.




Notable To Me In 2010 pt. 1

No comments:

Post a Comment